Saturday, January 17, 2009

Cleaning an Attic - Brent Pallas

The day had finally come
when everything there

seemed misplaced or out of place
as an ex's box of things. The unused

beside the irreplaceable, the easy-
to-assemble uncomplicated now

by disuse. Some hand
of randomness leaving behind

its lampshades stained
like ancient maps, its ladders

still climbing upward, and enough
old tools to restart a world.

Every drawer filled
with the other half of things.

Everything care embraced,
and held once as new,

left too ragged for another winter
to wear. Its ring of keys

dangling by a nail
for rooms left long ago. And whatever

I said I'd never forget
found, just as it seemed

completely forgot—all its letters
beginning with Dear....

3 comments:

  1. I don't know whose Blog this is but I'm extremely honored to have a poem of mine amid all the other terrific ones. Thank-you.
    Sincerely,
    Brent Pallas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this...it reminds me of how deep and intense you were in high school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.

    Attic Cleaning
    Attic Clean Up
    Attic Insulation Removal
    Cleaning Attic
    Insulation Removal

    ReplyDelete